CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

7/29/2009

Beach Vacation

Last month, we spent some time in Pensacola, Florida for one last little vacation before KR's school started up again. We stayed at the Navy Lodge on the Naval Base there for the first couple nights and planned to mostly just chill on the beach.
The Lodge was right on the bay and the water was warm and calm. We didn't have to share the beach with many other people either which was nice. Occasionally, a coast Guard helicopter would fly real low right over the shoreline doing drills.
KR took this picture (below) from the lodge balcony. You can see Bailey and I out on the beach between the trees.

The major downside was the wind! It was sooo windy on the shore. Sure it felt nice to have a breeze since it was so hot and humid, BUT, not when you have to stake down all your stuff and hold on to your beach umbrella the whole time to prevent it from uprooting and flying half way down the beach and having to chase after it-which happened. Also, not only was it hard enough trying to keep Bailey cool, but the sound of everything flapping in the wind was freaking her out. We either had to cover her ears or create a little tunnel for her to shield the wind.
All in all, I'm sure we were more stressed than she was. When you think of a beach vacation, you picture relaxing in the lap of luxury, swimming, getting a nice tan, etc (at least that's what those of us inexperienced, non-beach-savvy-with-a-new-baby folk imagine.) We did manage to have a good time, but it wasn't exactly ideal. We spent a long 2 hours out there and called it a day. And it's amazing how much sand we found on our baby who never even touched the sand!

Wouldn't all of us like to have this tree in our backyard?
Across the street from where we stayed was the National Naval Aviation Museum. This place was huge and had so much to see (much more than our Aviation Museum at Ft.Rucker). You could easily spend all day there. We only planned for a few hours so we pretty much did a brief walk through and caught an I-Max film about fighter pilots-way cool!

The base there is home to the Blue Angels (like the Thunderbirds for us Air Force brats) and although we never saw them flying, we would wake up to the sound of them practicing there in the mornings.

If you notice, at the beach KR was wearing his Air Force shirt and on this day he was wearing his Army shirt. He got a few stares and comments at the NAVY museum but he loved it! haha :)
And yes we pulled Bailey out of her car seat for this one!

We spent our last night at Eglin Air Force Base and went to Ft.Walton Beach the next day for a bit. It was nicer since it wasn't windy, but it was so hot we didn't last long. Poor Bailey was ready to go!

We then met up with Rachael and Eddie and they stayed a night at our house.

The following weekend, we met up with them at their spacious villa down in Seaside. These pictures don't do the place justice. It was beautiful.
Our day at the beach in Seaside was the best by far. The water was just right and the company was great!
We had so much fun with you guys, Ed and Rach!
After the beach, we took a refreshing swim in the pool. (While Bailey relaxed in the shade working on her non-tan.)

And after the long hot day, Bailey was sure ready to head home.

7 comments:

Kevin and Tiffany Hanson said...

Looks like loads of fun! I am jealous. I LOVE the beaches....and the Blue Angels. I have seen them fly and it is AMAZING! I hope to make it back to the beautiful white sands and blue water of the Florida Panhandle someday soon. Glad to see all is well and you are enjoying the East/South before you return home!

Rachael said...

It looks like you guys had tons of fun at the beach. She def. looked worn out at the end :) I love seeing updates. I wish we lived closer so I could come meet Bailey. ITs been a while since I've seen you guys. I hope to be able to meet up before you move back. Love ya guys

the andersons said...

Fun pics, Em! the beach looks awesome. And those pictures of you are super cute!!!

Angie said...

yeah the beach is tricky with the babies! If you figured out a trick you must share. We just leave simon in his carseat. :)

TiAnn said...

You guys have so many fun adventures, little Bailey will have so much fun with her super cool parents!

Nycole said...

How fun! She's getting so big! Looks like you guys are having a fun and busy summer! Miss you!

Kevin and Tiffany Hanson said...

Em...That would be great! I would love to see y'all. Let me know when you get here and have some time! I think that is the week of Labor Day so I will not have to work on Monday at all. We have Onion Days and festivities, but no biggie! Then, I also have Thursday evenings off...most weeks...and of course, weekends! Hope to see ya soon. Tell KR hi for us!